Born into slavery in 1798, Betsey Stockton was an African-American educator and missionary.
Betsey was a servant to Robert Stockton, president of the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University), and was formally freed in 1817. She remained in the service of the family as paid household help and was able to take advantage of their extensive library and benefit from their willingness to teach her in their home.
Betsey was commissioned by the American Board of Foreign Missions as a Missionary and became the first single American woman sent overseas. Her contract stated that she was sent “neither as an equal nor as a servant, but a humble Christian friend.” Betsey traveled in company with 13 white missionaries on board a ship rounding the southern tip of South America. The missionaries were on their way to the Sandwich Islands (present-day Hawaii). Upon arrival, the missionaries settled in Lahaina, Maui, where Betsey was the teacher of the first mission school at Lahainaluna School for commoners, learning the Hawaiian language while working on the Islands the first woman to do so. She trained native Hawaiian Teachers who eventually took over her teachings once the missionaries departed.
Though her contract stated she was not to be a servant, the circumstances of people of color in that day determined that she was a servant at least part-time to one of the families that she traveled with. In 1825, the matriarch of the family that she was helping became ill, and she returned to the USA, where she stayed with them for about five years.
Betsey taught briefly at an infant school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, established a school for Native Americans at Grape Island, Canada, and then returned to Princeton in 1835 and taught in its school for blacks. In 1840, she helped found Princeton’s First Presbyterian Church of Color, which in 1848 was renamed the Witherspoon Street Church.
On October 24, 1865, Betsey passed away and was buried in Cooperstown, New York. Like many early missionaries, she kept a diary of her travels – versions published in the Christian Advocate in 1824 and 1825.